What better way is there to spend National Love Your Pet Day than by spoiling your puppers? One of my dogs is an avid watermelon lover, so today I decided to make some frozen apple watermelon treats! Frozen snacks would be perfect after a hot summer day at the dog park. These 3 ingredient snacks are easy to make and the dogs love them! And the best part is, they are grain free and gluten free (my dog is allergic).
According to the AKC, watermelon is a great, low-calorie source of nutrition packed full of Vitamins A, B6, C, & Potassium. It is also made up of 92% water so it is great on a hot day to help with their hydration. However, use caution with the rind because it can upset their tummies and the seeds can cause an intestinal blockage. PetMD says that apples are low protein, high fiber, and full of antioxidants. They are also good for their teeth! As long as your dogs are not lactose intolerant, plain greek yogurt is a good probiotic as well!
So without further ado, here is the simple recipe!
What you need:
- 2 Diced Apples (remove core and seeds)
- Several Chunks of Watermelon (no seeds!)
- ~1/2 cup to 3/4 cup Plain greek yogurt
- Ice trays or dog mold trays (I used these-safe for the oven, freezer, and microwave!)
- Use a blender to blend the watermelon and apples until they are liquified
- In the trays, put a small scoop of the yogurt into each slot.
- Fill the rest of the slot with the watermelon/apple blend.
- Stick in freezer for 4-6 hours! Then let puppers enjoy!
- Store the rest in a container in the freezer.